October 3, 2010

First memories of design



I believe several of you had had some kind of toy car in your childhood. Mine was this common red and yellow toy car above; however, it was the toy car that impacts me greatly about the field of design.

What is so special about this plastic cheap toy? Not only it is no ordinary toy, it is long lasting and comfortable. When I was about the age of three, I like the designed space when I was sitting in the toy car; secured but not overly crowded. And furthermore, there is a back open trunk to store my childhood treasures.

If parents are worried that their children are not getting enough active exercise, this toy car is Flintstone style. There are nothing to hold up the legs and feet, so kids need to row with their feet. While in my experience, children like racing their toy car, so there would be plenty of lower body exercise with this toy car.

this toy car stayed with me even after elementary school. Even though I was too large to be sitting in the toy, it does not mean there were no other ways to make use of it. The top of the car, which is also the rooftop of the toy, was the most comfortable spot. Luckily, I have small bones, so breaking the rooftop did not injure me. In addition, I laid down and take naps on the toy because the back of toy car has a curve down rooftop that makes it extra comfortable. 


The toy car was designed to be a children friendly toy with no sharp edges, the whole toy is curvy. And the usage of bright warm colors makes the toy more obvious to children. The color also excites children visually. 

The height of this toy car is recently half of my height, which is somewhat tiny. Even though I was not old enough to go on a road trip journey, this red yellow plastic toy car could be designed to let experience the idea of having a special space of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment